Should I consult a enterologist for mucus in throat and tickling sensation with cough post nasal polyp removal?

I had a tear-drop like nasal polyp in the left nostril about 2 years ago. I removed it myself and since then I have an extreme mucus going down my throat, tickling in my throat subseguent cough and mucus coming out of my mouth. It keeps coming out especially in the morning upon my waking up, or at night when lying down, or when walking outside. I tried corticosteroid sprays, nasal rinses, no help. I wanted to do MRI, but was offered CT scan instead, so I refused to much radiation. Should seeing enterologist be my next step?
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Your symptoms of more than 2 years label your sinusitis as chronic sinusitis and this is characterised by chronic inflammation of mucous ling of para nasal sinuses. You require to consult a ENT surgeon for detailed investigations like CT scan,nasal swab,nasal endoscopy and tissue histology and culture. Treatment involves...  Thinning of mucus by taking hot water and steam inhalation Nasal irrigation by doing NETI Saline nasal drops for liquefying the mucus and decongesting the nasal passages. Proppping your head on pillow Use of antibiotics or antifungals according to culture Maxillary natural wash or ballon SINUPLASTY as part of surgical treatment. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Should I consult a enterologist for mucus in throat and tickling sensation with cough post nasal polyp removal? 1 hour later
You are suggesting CT scan instead of MRI. Why is that
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 hours later
Hello, This indeed is a nice question and asked by our patients so many times.Computed tomography (CT) scanning is the examination of choice in sinusitis, particularly in cases of chronic sinus disease, providing excellent detail of sinus anatomy. Good anatomic definition is desirable and required before surgical intervention. CT scan relies on high contrast between air,bone and soft tissues in evaluating para nasal sinuses. Other disadvantages of MRI are high rate of  false positive findings  and higher cost. All these things make CT a better choice. Thanks