Should I consult a doctor for coughing up phlegm while suffering from cough and cold?

I had a cold start about 3 weeks ago. I can't kick the cough. I don't feel bad, and never really did through the whole thing, just can't get rid of this really hard cough. Most of the time nothing comes up, but sometimes it's green and thick crud. Seems to get worse at night. Should I break down and go to the doctor?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes you need to investigate Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Most probably what you are having is a post nasal discharge. This causes bouts of cough and occurs cause of phlegm hanging in the posterior pharyngeal wall. This should responds to anti histaminics like cetrizine. However the cough of 4 weeks duration should be investigated. A x-ray should be good to identify the causes of cough. Other possible diagnosis is bronchitis or bronchiolitis. You may even consider getting a sputum culture and sensitivity done. This will help in identifying the exact organism and identify the exact antibiotic which will act on it. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Should I consult a doctor for coughing up phlegm while suffering from cough and cold? 6 minutes later
thanks doc. I get to coughing so hard that my chest hurts, but I don't feel like I'm wheezing or anything. I just know that nothing seems to help with the cough.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Its good that there are no wheezes Detailed Answer: Hello Its good that you dont have wheezes and that reduces the possibility of lower respiratory tract infection. Post nasal discharge is still a possibility. You should consider taking cetrizine as many of my patinets have benefitted with this medication when they had such a cough. Also use plenty of lozenges and do steam inhalation frequently. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow-up: Should I consult a doctor for coughing up phlegm while suffering from cough and cold? 2 days later
I haven't made it to the Dr yet because of work and weather. Now I have neck pain on the left side back of head when I cough. I also have some pain on the left side of my head when I cough. I plan on going to the Dr tomorrow, but wanted to get your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Muscular pain Detailed Answer: Hello Due to the repeated cough, there could be muscular pain in the areas that you have described. It is commonly seen among the patients with long term cough. You may take mild pain killers like acetaminophen etc. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy