Should I consult a cardiologist for discomfort in my heart and shortness of breath with a history of aortic valve repair?

I am a 72 year old healthy male with a history of cardiac issues namely, heart attack in 2000,and aortic valve repair in 2006. I currently see a cardiologist every 6 months and the last visit in November was routine. My home is in NY but I am currently wintering in XXXXXXX AZ. My physical activity has greatly increased-hiking,pickle ball, water volleyball and swimming. I am experiencing a slight discomfort on my right side near my heart and seem to be short of breath on steep inclines while hiking. I am wondering if i should consult a doctor and or a cardiologist here in AZ. Thank you XXXX YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please don't overpass in sports;consult cardilogis Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, I read your medical history carefully and understood your concerns. The slight discomfort on the right side (I believe it is left side) near your heart, could be related to any possible heart problems related to recent increase in your physical activity. As you are having history of heart attack in 2000 and aortic valve repair in 2006, I'd suggest not to overpass in sports your are involved. If will still have problems with short of breathe even after stopping physical activity or while being at rest, then, should consult a cardiologist as soon as possible at the place you are now. I'd also advise to monitor your blood pressure and heart rates and record the results for further evaluation. Furthermore, do not forget to take the medications as prescribed by your doctor! All the best! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Follow-up: Should I consult a cardiologist for discomfort in my heart and shortness of breath with a history of aortic valve repair? 4 hours later
Thank you. When you say "not to overpass", specifically are you referring to overhand serves both in pickleball and volleyball.......? I have made an appt with a cardiologist here in AZ for the 20th of this month. The shortness of breath only happens when hiking a steep incline. Does not occur otherwise/
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 13 hours later
Brief Answer: High physical activities cause to breath-shortness Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Yes, "not overpassing" means to go easy with physical activities you are getting involved, including volleyball, hiking a steep incline, etc. During such activities, your body need more energy "asking" the heart to pump more blood (overload). Your body is responding with shortness of breath to such request. As you have a previous history of aortic repair, the aim is not to give too much pressure (overwork) to the repaired aorta preventing heart accidents. It is good that you scheduled an appointment with the cardiologist to evaluate further your heart status. Wishing all the best! Dr.Alba