Should I be worried if I have stress fractures of the femoral necks?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
our 16 yr old daughter has the following symptoms:
1. fatigued all the time
2. low limit of wbc, 3.8
3. they just found stress fracture on both femural necks
4.monocytes 9
5. low side rbc (3.9)
i was wondering if i should be worried
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 9 hours later
Hello Owahnschafft,

With respect to your blood reports, I think you need to visit a Physician at the earliest.
If she has stress fractures of the femoral necks, I would advise her not to walk at all as it could progress to a complete fracture which has numerous complications. However, the main concern here is why did she develop those fractures? Did she lately recruit into any physically demanding venture? Is she on any medications? Kindly check her Calcium levels.

Weakness, fatigability could possibly because of osteomalacia ( a condition wherein the bone gets weak due to low calcium levels) or Aplastic anemia (low blood counts).

I could help you better, if you could mail me those X-rays @ YYYY@YYYY ATTN Sangeet. Your daughter needs evaluation completely till the problem is diagnosed to be benign.

Kindly follow up with me, with your answers and X-rays.

Thank you.