Should I be worried for itchy bites under skin of a foot which is growing in size?

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, a week ago I came back from Cambodia. I did two things there that may be the cause? I wormed all the kids on a beach over 4 nights, I allowed them to sit on me etc, I also visited a rubbish tip city in thongs. After a week of being home what I thought was mozzie bites, have grown into something under my skin on my foot. I can only see one, it is getting longer each day and kind of curls at the ends, it is scratchy and itchy sometimes, I have another one under my foot I can't see....chemists I've been too said they don't know enough about these types of parasites from other countries. I have appoint to morning with doc. But they seem to be growing rapidly, should I be more worried?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query It is appearing like a gunia worm infestation. don't worry this can be easily treated. Can you please upload a photograph of the lesion. This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis. Waiting for your response. Thank you

Follow-up: Should I be worried for itchy bites under skin of a foot which is growing in size? 31 minutes later
Can you please tell me what the treatment is, if this is the likely cause? Oh and is transmitable? I've been sharing drinks with my daughter before I found out. We live in Australia and don't have worming tablets for ths sort of thing, I've been to two chemists. Taking all care now

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up and photographs. It is definitely worm infestation. The treatment for this is tab albendazole 400mg single dose. It is very safe and effective. You can give it even to your daughter. Dont worry it wont spread by sharing water and food. Thank you

Follow-up: Should I be worried for itchy bites under skin of a foot which is growing in size? 42 minutes later
Thank you very much, this has been extremely helpful. I had thought worm, but I thought hook worm, same treatment I think. I will get our recommended medication tomorrow. Again thank you, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. Yes treatment for all the worm infestation is same. So just take a single dose of albendazole. I am happy I could help you. Thank you