Should I be worried for elevated glucose level?

My glucose level used to be 103, fasting. I went 3 months without monitoring it. After a small meal it is now 270mgl. Should I call my Doctor?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes, a doctor's visit may be needed Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It would be best to visit your doctor. The fasting blood sugars of 103 mg/dl were in the prediabetic range. This means that they were not diagnostic of diabetes but indicate that there is increased risk of fully becoming a diabetic. It is known however, that the post meals blood sugars rise before the fasting blood sugars. This means that the fasting can remain normal as the post meals are rising. This occurs because of the interaction between insulin and the other hormones in the body that influence blood sugar (such as glucagon ). Normally post meal blood sugars are tested 2 hours after the meal. The readings used for diagnosis require that they be done at this time, no earlier or later. To be completely accurate,actually , for diagnosis the reading is done 2 hours after ingestion of a drink containing a specific amount of sugar. If your after meal readings are 2 hours after your meal, they are indicative that you may be a diabetic. Diabetes is diagnosed when they are greater than 200 mg/dl. It would be best, in that case, to visit your doctor who then do an official test to determine if you are diabetic. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions