Should I be worried after taking anti rabies vaccine for a dog scratch on leg?

Question
Hi, Got scratched by toe nail of a (probably) non-rabid dog about 8 days back, In India. Have already got 2 shots (days 0 and 3) of an anti rabies vaccine. Had had a full course of anti rabies from a dog bite in 2001. Am told that anti rabies vaccine is good for life. Do I need to persist with the remaining 3 shots this time around? Might there be some ill effects. I don't have any allergic reactions to the shots, far as I can tell. Many thanks
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX If you are sure that the dog is non-rabid and if there was no bleeding, then there is no needed for anti-rabies vaccine. Anti-rabies vaccine is only indicated in some instances like: when the status of dog or any other animal is unknown, there has been bleeding due to the scratch which open the portal for transmission of rabies germs. Now that you have taken 2 shots. I could not figure out the risk that you carry to get infected. But if the risk of transmission is very minimal, then you do not need to take any further shots. According to WHO, if the animal remains healthy during the 10 days period of observation, then the treatment (including vaccine) may be discontinued. There will be no ill-effects if you discontinue treatment on 10th day. Hope I made it clear. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Should I be worried after taking anti rabies vaccine for a dog scratch on leg? 3 hours later
Dear Dr. Vaishalee, Many thanks for your prompt and detailed response. No, I do not have the status of the dog. Yes, there was a scratch, which I cleaned as best as I could, but not with running water. I have taken a tetanus injection. My question, though, is this. Assuming risk of rabies infection, will my 2001 dosage have given me enough protection that I do not need the full vaccination this time. From another perspective, if I take the full vaccination this time, will there be adverse consequences, given that I had taken the full dose in 2001? Many thanks and apologies for bothering you. Regards, XXXX

Brief Answer: Hi again Detailed Answer: Hi again I will answer your questions questions specifically as below: Assuming risk of rabies infection, will my 2001 dosage have given me enough protection that I do not need the full vaccination this time? A. Yes it will have given you enough protection that you do not need more than two shots for this bite. From another perspective, if I take the full vaccination this time, will there be adverse consequences, given that I had taken the full dose in 2001? A. If you take full vaccination this time, there will not be any extra adverse effects for the excess dosage. But you do not need more than two shots this time. Hope I made it clear. Regards Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Should I be worried after taking anti rabies vaccine for a dog scratch on leg? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX My deep regards for your timely response. I thank you very much. Really appreciate your time. Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for consulting me. Take care Dr Vaishalee