Should I be worried about the readings of b12 and folate levels?

Oncologist
Question
What does a high folate level of 58 mean? And is it dangerous? ALso my b12 is 6.0 My numbers were wrong. Change to my b12 is 600 and folate is 53.1 Thanks
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Test results. Detailed Answer: thank you for sending the question. It looks like your laboratory results have shown that you have normal B12 and folic acid levels. Please let me know what your question is in addition to these laboratory results. I would be happy to review your question and discuss options as well as your current health condition. dr. Robert

Follow-up: Should I be worried about the readings of b12 and folate levels? 16 minutes later
On the report it states that the normal range for Folate Serum is 11-18. Because Mine says 53.1 is that not way too high. Also it indicated HIGH beside the number. Answer the follow up question above pleaase> Normal range for Folate serum is between 11-18 and mine is 53.1 with the word HIGH beside it. What is this?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible lab error Detailed Answer: hello again, This could possibly be related to a laboratory test error or you could possibly be taking too much of this supplement in some type of multivitamin. Take a look at your medications and supplements to see if you're taking excessive amounts of folic acid. if this is not the case you should discuss this with your primary care doctor to see if he or she thinks you need additional testing. very often we take supplements with very excessive amounts of certain vitamins. if you could attach copies of all of your laboratory reports it might help to correlate some of the findings on your other laboratory studies with the concerns you have today. Thanks again for sending your question. As always we are available for any specific follow-up concerns. Have a great day. Dr. Robert