Should I be worried about internal bleeding after head injury?

my 5 year old son hit the right side of his head on concrete this afternoon at 1pm. it was so hard that i heard the hit. no bleeding, bumps, or bruises other than small red dots under surface. he is acting mostly himself. just went to sleep about an hour ago. should i be worried about internal bleeding because of the lack of bump?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for your son. Even if he is not having any visible hematoma or bump under the surface, he needs to be examined by a doctor once.

Any subdural hematoma needs to be ruled out. Unlike in epidural hematomas, which are usually caused by tears in arteries, subdural bleeding usually results from tears in veins that cross the subdural space.

Symptoms of subdural hemorrhage have a slower onset than those of epidural hemorrhages because the lower pressure veins bleed more slowly than arteries. Thus, signs and symptoms may show up within 24 hours but can be delayed as much as 2 weeks

Most of the time, subdural hematomas occur around the tops and sides of the frontal and parietal lobes. I think a CT scan of head will definitely help in ruling out such sinister problems which can happen after a traumatic brain injury.

Also keep an eye on any neurological symptoms like vomiting,bleeding from ears , nose or seizures. If they happen, consult ER at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.