Should I be worried about having constant nose bleeds?

ENT Specialist
I am 17. And have been having constant nose bleeds for over two years now. There is a two week period within months where I have nose bleeds every day, some even twice a day. Is there a problem?
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get an ENT examination done. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. There can be various causes of nose bleeding. The most common and trivial is the dryness/crusting and ulceration in the anterior part of the nasal cavity mainly the nasal septum. The crust when gets dislodged leads to a raw area and that raw area bleeds. Other causes of anterior bleed can be a prominent blood vessel anteriorly in nasal cavity and few of the small vascular malformations in the anterior part of nasal cavity. Bleeding may also be due to various masses in the anterior nasal cavity. A deviated part of nasal septum with a sharp pointed area (spur) can also lead to bleeding. Further posterior part of nasal cavity can also have some reasons for bleeding with hypertensive bleed as the most common cause but usually in elderly. I wouldn't be very concerned. However I would order an endoscopic examination of nose to rule out the exact cause of bleeding. I would also recommend that you get your blood pressures recorded to rule out hypertension. Visit an ENT surgeon nearby who can perform the aforementioned tests. He/she can also check your clotting mechanism. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards