Should I be worried about a pulse reading of 103?

Hi docktors, I am 24 years old male who just wondring what it means "103" I've look at, my pulse and it say 103 what dose it mean?
Is that some thing I should worry about?

Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried about,refer to suggestions.

Detailed Answer:

The number "103" you read on the monitor beside the pulse indicates how many times your heart is beating for 1 minute.

The normal ranges are 60 (bottom) to 100 (highest). Yours is little bit higher than the highest range. However, there is nothing to be worried about.

Such slightly elevated readings are influenced by many factors:

- your anxiety about the reading-results while you were taking the measurement

- you measured your BP right after doing any activity or just walking. Please bare in mind that usually the measurement is taken after asking the patient to sit down and be relaxed for up to 20 minutes to avoid false readings.

- the drinks you might have consumed prior to testing such as coffee, energetic drinks, alcohol, smoking, etc.

- or just because of stress or your work

You can repeat the test after 1 week but remember to measure BP as I advised earlier and record it.

If the result is higher than 100 again, then, if I were your caring doctor would advise to measure it for 1 entire week, record the results and pass to the physician for further evaluation.

Meanwhile, I'd advise to avoid caffeine-containing foods, energetic drinks, alcohol, smoking, fatty and sugar foods, avoid salty foods and drink more water.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!

p.s. if you have further concern, please write back to me!