Should I be worried about a lump on left collar bone besides having a family history of arthritis and stroke?

I have a lump on my left collar bone facing outward at or near where joins the sternum. Very hard like bone material. No pain, does not move at all. Around the size of a quarter and round about the size of a 1/3 cross section of a walnut. Noticed it about 3 months ago. Does not seem to be growing but may have some. I have had no known injuries in this area that I remember but did fall off a ladder some time ago but do not remember any specific resultant intense pain in this area after the fall. The fall did break my right hand and was quite a jar across my shoulder. My chiropractor looked at but did not think it was anything to be concerned about at this point. My fathers side of family has a history of almost all having arthritis, no cancer. My mothers side has some history of stroke and heart disease. While relaxing I tend to lie on the couch's arm with my left elbow up or over the couch arm and may be compressing on this part of my clavicle? Once and a while exercising or stretching I might feel a light pop in this area as with many joints. Both my parents have had non cancerous thyroid surgery. Again the lump is as hard as a rock and does not move when pushed. Thank You.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: athis is probably a bone spurs Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. From the information you have provided, this lump most probably represents a bony growth. This is even more likely given the history of trauma that you sustained to this area in your youths. This makes the joint prone to develop over growth which are termed osteophytes or bone spurs in attempt to repair the lesions. Even without trauma, it is a common finding with as we age. I must appreciate how complete your post it. The consistency of this lump should be just like that of bone. As you know, bone is very hard and because it is a bone outgrowth, it is firmly attached to it and it cannot move. I am not particularly concerned about this right now. Unless some new symptoms come up, I will advice that you don't need any further medical attention for this right now. The chances of this being cancerous are very very small. It wouldn't make it as one of the top possibilities on my list. I hope you find this useful and it addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD