Should I be worried about MPV value in blood report?

I got blood results and my MPV was 7.0.All of my other cbc counts were normal and the Dr. Did not mention anything about the MPV. I got a copy of my lab report and saw it. Should I be concerned? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. MPV means mean platelet volume and it measures the size of platelets. The normal range of MPV is between 7.2 to 11.7. Since your value is 7 and is just below the normal range and so it would be called a normal value and that's why your doctor has not mentioned any thing about it. Just relax as there is nothing to worry about it. there is no reason for you to be concerned. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Should I be worried about MPV value in blood report? 43 minutes later
Thank you. Would you please address the question in my medical history regarding the low number for creatinine eGFR of 56. This was on the same report and the er doc did not mention it. From what I read this is not good as it indicates Stage 3 kidney disease. The creatinine was 1.1 and all other kidney blood test and urinalysis normal.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 13 hours later
Hello, This indeed is a nice question.It is definitely a very big confusion for a layman and non medical person when his eGFR is low and the table labels it as a stage 3 kidney disease ,while the kidney tests are normal and no word from your doctor. I would like to present you with some informations and facts ,in the light of which,we would find our answer and clear the confusion. ...The eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate) is a number based on your blood test for creatinine,age and sex. It tells how well your kidneys are working. ...eGFR is a calculation based on blood tests and not necessarily a true reflection of your kidney functions. ...The eGFR is a good test, but it’s not for everyone.  this test may not be accurate if you are younger than 18, pregnant, very overweight or very muscular,malnourished,people who have had amputation of one arm or leg,people with water retention etc. ....not all clinicians agree with the classification which states the normal kidney function means eGFR above 90,because this way many elderly people with no kidney disease or mildly reduced kidney functions,would be labelled as CKD patients. ...the fact which is generally recognised is that eGFR above 60 is considered as normal. ...if a person has normal blood pressure,no diabetes,no abnormal urine report or no abnormal creatinine,then this value of 56 is taken as normal. The protocol is,that you should get your eGFR and kidney function tests done every 3 months and if 3 successive reports suggest values below 60 or if there is reduction in value of eGFR in successive reports or if there is blood or proteins in your urine,then you should consult a nephrologist. Till then relax and don't worry. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further clarification. Thanks