Should I be concerned about red spots around eye and eyelid after vomiting?

I vomited last night and about an hour later I notice many red spots around my eye, including my eyelid. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Most probably normal reaction due to vomiting Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. If you do not mind me asking, could you tell me why you vomited, and how many episodes you had? As of now, the cause for the red spots around your eyes and eyelids would be due to a minor rupture of blood vessels around your eyes which was caused by increased blood pressure around your head caused by the vomiting. The fact that you have hypertension (high blood pressure) also supports this. I would not worry about it, as it is perfectly normal and should heal in a few days. You could also apply any gels or creams that promote healing, if you wish for more rapid results. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Should I be concerned about red spots around eye and eyelid after vomiting? 28 minutes later
I have acid reflux and a hiatal hernia which causes a great deal of mucous. it was especially bad last night and when I tried to expectorate it, it caused me to vomit.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Then nothing to worry about at all Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir/ma'am. Thank you for that information, I really appreciate it. So this could have resulted in violent vomiting, which in turn has caused the red spots. Nothing to worry about sir/ma'am, they should clear in a few days. Best wishes.