Ask a Urologist   »  

Should I be concerned about my semen that is not flushing out of my prostrate inspite of using proscar for prostate infection

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
My urologist feels I have an occult prostate infection and it's being treated now with ny 3rd round of doxy mono 100 mg twice a day. I also have bph and having problems urinating with onset of this infection. Dr also started me on pros car and 2 mg hytrin taking three at night and three mid morning to relax my prostrate. The proscar has caused me to have non ejaculating ejaculations tho not all the time. MY QUESTION IS should I be concerned that my semen isn't flushing out of my prostrate since two of the biggest compliments to have the Doxy finally kill the bacteria is to keep bladder emptying AND ejaculating ? ALSO DOES ZINC SUPPLEMENT HELP WITH PROSTATITIS?
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. You have been given doxy for control of infection. At the same time Proscar (finastride) and Hytrin (terazocin) have been prescribed for prostate enlargement. There are case reports of persistent diminished libido or erectile dysfunction after taking Proscar and this may be discussed in detail with your doctor. That is concerning sexual side effects on taking Proscar. Prostatitis is of either acute or chronic type. While acute prostatitis is usually cured with a complete course of antibiotics, chronic non bacterial prostatitis is the most common prostatitis syndrome where there is no significant improvement after a conventional course of antibiotics. If antibiotics don’t clear up the infection then self-help measures such as hot-warm baths, avoidance of strenuous activity and regular bladder emptying and ejaculation are normally advised. Concerning your specific question if you should be concerned, ejaculation is one of the ways advised and considering your age, ejaculatory fluid may be generated in lesser quantities than a young adult. Therefore please do not worry over inability to have ejaculation each time and do not get distressed over it. There is evidence that zinc may reduce an enlarged prostate, but researchers don't know whether zinc helps prostatitis. A few preliminary studies suggest that when zinc is taken with antibiotics, it may work better than antibiotics alone for reducing some symptoms of prostatitis. High doses of zinc (more than 40 mg per day) can cause many negative side effects. Taking zinc supplements may cause you to have a copper deficiency, so be sure to work with your doctor to find the right dose of zinc for you. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Should I be concerned about my semen that is not flushing out of my prostrate inspite of using proscar for prostate infection 38 hours later
Thank you. Is the semen that's NOT coming out at ejaculation blowing into my bladder and then expelling when I urinate next? I've only been on proscar for a month. Will I sometimes ejaculate semen while stil on proscar? ILL USE UP MY TWO FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS WITH THESE TWO. THANK YOU AGAIN

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detaioled answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back with an update. I guess you are interested in knowing about what is clinically termed retrograde ejaculation. Retrograde ejaculation occurs when semen enters the bladder instead of emerging through the penis during orgasm. Although you still reach sexual climax, you may ejaculate very little or no semen. Retrograde ejaculation isn't harmful, but it can cause male infertility. Treatment for retrograde ejaculation is generally only needed to restore fertility. Symptoms of retrograde ejaculation are orgasms in which you ejaculate very little or no semen out of your penis and urine that is cloudy after orgasm (because it contains semen). Proscar has the potential of causing side effects in those taking it. The severity of side effects varies in each person and can remain even after the medication is stopped. This does not happen in every patient taking it tough. That is the reason I wish you discuss this point with your urologist in detail. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek