Should I be concerned about my low blood pressure? Can Premarin have that effect?

my blood pressure was checked when I gave blood yesterday and it was 138/92...I have had occasions where my diastolic number has been high before, but the time before this it was actually quite low...should I be concerned? I take premarin for pre-menopause symptoms...can that have an affect?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 1 hour later

I am happy to answer your question.

Premarin does not usually cause high blood pressure, although it appears, through post-marketing reports, that in some people it might.

138/92 is borderline. But more importantly, in my practice, the only valid blood pressure is one taken after 5 minutes of quiet rest, and with a manual BP cuff and a stethoscope. I have never encountered an automatic cuff that was accurate. Blood pressure goes up and down moment to moment. So unless yours was a true resting blood pressure taken properly with proper instruments, I would not take too much stock in it. At best, it suggests that you should have your blood pressure accurately and properly evaluated.

I hope I have answered your question. Please feel free to follow up, if needed.

Dr. Schwartz
Follow-up: Should I be concerned about my low blood pressure? Can Premarin have that effect? 2 hours later
Hi Dr. Schwartz,

The blood pressure was taken in the morning when I donated blood and was with a cuff. Each time now that it has been mentioned to me was in a doctor's office with a cuff...then they would ask..."has anyone mentioned high blood pressure to you before?" This is about the third or fourth time it was mentioned to me and I think that is why I am concerned...

Blood pressure issues run in my mother's was actually low, but my dad has high blood pressure. My grandfather on my mother's side had 3 heart attacks and two surgeries....was diabetic. My dad is diabetic as well. My mother passed away of a stroke from Moa moa at 31 yrs old.

I usually don't use the blood pressure machines at the pharmacies....only going by what has been said at the doctor's for different things. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 9 minutes later
Hi again XXXXXXX

So, if you have 2 readings above 14/90, taken properly of course, then this establishes the diagnosis of hypertension. In my practice, when a mildly hypertensive patient is otherwise healthy, I often offer them a 2-3 month trial of lifestyle management, consisting of: more fruits and vegetables, low alcohol consumption, low salt intake, regular exercise, weight loss, tobacco cessation and stress management. If that does not bring their blood pressure to acceptable levels then I recommend medication. When thinking about medication, keep in mind that multiple processes in the body cause hypertension and so there is nothing unusual about requiring more than one medication to bring BP under control.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to follow up if necessary.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz