Should I be concerned about lump on back?

Spine Surgeon
Hello, I have a lump on my back about the size of a nickel. THe lump seems to be very hard and doesn't stick out too much, not really noticable until you touch it. Maybe sticks out a few centimeters. The skin on the outside doesn't seem to be connected to it as i can move the skin, but the lump doesn't seem to move at all. It is near the middle of my back on the right side of my spine. I haven't really noticed it too much before, but my gf recently did notice it. It doesn't hurt and if she didn't notice i probably wouldn't have for awhile. I'm 28 and healthy. Just curious if i should get it checked out or if i have reason to be concerned.. back pain only chosen because i didn't know what else to choose. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 3 hours later

The lump you are describing is most probably a lipoma. Are they multiple? More important to know whether it is increasing in size.

Usually this is a benign lesion and if it becomes painful then we usually remove. Anyway, I would suggest visiting a doctor to get it examined just to make sure that it is a benign lesion.

Do write back if you have more concerns.