Should I be concerned about low blood pressure causing dizziness?

my blood pressure is 101 over 55 and has been lower yesterday. Am feeling very floaty and a bit dizzy still is it cause for concern
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: problematic if symptoms are present Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic A normal blood pressure is a systolic (upper value) of less than 120 mmHg and a diastolic (the lower value) of less than 80 mmHg. The normal blood pressure varies from one person to the next. Low blood pressure ( hypotension) is considered a problem if symptoms occur. For example a person may have a blood pressure of 90/50 and feel fine because this is their normal range but another may have this same blood pressure and feel dizzy and weak because their blood pressure is normally higher. The normal blood pressure range is 90/60 to 120/80 but again if your normal is higher that your present readings, you would experience symptoms. Since you are having symptoms that can be related to a low blood pressure ( dizziness and lightheaded sensation) that the readings are concerning. There are different possible causes of hypotension such as: low fluid or salt intake, side effect of mediation, alcohol use, heart disease, excess heat, related to the neurological system in terms of the nerves to the heart or blood vessels, severe infection or severe allergic reaction You can consider increasing your fluid and salt intake to see if the readings and your symptoms improve. If your symptoms are mainly on standing , then moving slowly from the sitting to standing position is advised. If this is not effective then your doctor can prescribe medication that may be helpful. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions