Ask a Urologist   »  

Should I be concerned about high creatinine levels in urine?

I am concerned about my slightly high creatine levels in my urine for the past few years. My doctor told me not to be concerned. Should I be? What effect it has on my health? I have a family history of diabetes and heart conditons.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

High levels of creatinine in the urine are indicative the your renal status. If you have a long standing history of diabetes and hypertension then it might be indicative of the effect of these problems on your kidney. Once the changes that have been produced cannot be reversed back with any medicine so there is no use of worrying over it.

The only way is to stop the further damage by keeping your blood glucose levels and blood pressure well under control with the help of medicines. A recurrent urinary infection also might cause some renal damage causing a raised levels of creatinine.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.