Should I be concerned about dark brown stools after taking hydrocodone for pain after gallbladder surgery?

Apr 2014

I'm taking hydrocone for pain after my gallbladder surgery and my stools are dark brown, should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probable side effect of hydrocodone Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Hydrocodone is a narcotic analgesic and is known to cause minimal bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract and hence the dark brown stools in your situation. You should stop taking hydrocodone immediately and report to your surgeon for alternative pain control medications. It is important to know other medications you might be taking after your surgery to rule out other possible side effects and complications. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX