Should I be concerned about black stools after gastroscopy and colonoscopy?

General Surgeon
It is 48 hours since I had both gastroscopy and colonoscopy. Biopsies were taken from oesophagus, stomach duodenum and colon and a small sigmoid hyper plastic polyp removed. Each bowel movement since then has been black - should I be concerned? The surgeon not available until tomorrow. Otherwise feeling pretty good
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: black stools means bleeding inside Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to HCM. This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. Black sticky stools...called malena in medical terms...signify upper gi tract bleeding... maybe mostly from one of the biopsy sites...but as its just 48 hrs since your may wait for a few more it may take upto 5 days to clear... So, if even after 5 days you are still passing black stools...or if it get need to revisit your doctor...till then keep your sugars strictly under control as diabetes predisposes to infection. Hope, that i have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Regards, Dr. Ashish Verma