Should I be concerned about being overweight with lumps under skin?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2013
Sep 2013

Question
female. 23 yrs . overweight. no medical issues. recently have noticed lumps under skin on my thighs. have read about cellulite and it may be that howeever im wondering if it can be more serious... have been to my ob for an annual and everything was fine. i dont know how long these lumps are there but i did notice them a little over a week ago.
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lumps on thigh. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX. Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum. After observing the picture , possibilities may be . 1 Lipoma , a slowly growing tumor benign in nature ,composed of fat cells ( mostly in obese patient ). Diagnosis can be confirmed by physical examination by a surgeon.However condition is benign in nature ,so not a cause of concern. 2 Pyoderma , diagnosis can be confirmed by physical examination .Usually due to staphylococcus .You may need antibiotics with anti inflammatory drugs . 3 Cellulitis ,since you are so obese ,so diabetes may be the the reason behind these lumps ( cellulitis).Diagnosis can be confirmed by blood sugar examination. In my opinion take antibiotics with anti inflammatory drugs after blood sugar examination . So consult a surgeon and get his opinion. Hope this information will be helpful for you .Further any question I will reply in follow up. Good luck. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Should I be concerned about being overweight with lumps under skin? 2 hours later
does zithromax have anti inflammory drugs?

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is an antibiotic Detailed Answer: Zithromax( Azithromycin) is an antibiotics and most potent drug for skin infection as it may be in your case , so it will provide you relief. Let me know if you need any other information. Good luck for you . Dr. Het

Follow-up: Should I be concerned about being overweight with lumps under skin? 22 minutes later
I have been to a doctor a few min ago just to make sure its nothing serious. He said its either cellulite or lymhodema. Do you agree with him or would you say otherwise?

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your doctor is right Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX In my opinion, physical examination is most important tool, so your doctor is right. You must trust him. Please go ahead with the treatment accordingly. If you didn't have any pain or problem, then you may wait for some time. The pain and redness may be cellulitis but in picture, they seem like lymphodema. I am here for your further question. Good luck. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Should I be concerned about being overweight with lumps under skin? 12 minutes later
Firstly there is no redness on my thighs. Also i have no pain either. Doctor has said just to get compression stockings..

Brief Answer: wait and watch Detailed Answer: Hello, In my opinion, there is no compression. Only wait and watch. No cellulitis, so need no to worry. Good luck. Dr. HET