Should I be concerned about a purple bruise on my knee caused due to falling objects?

Had larg plastic ctns fall on me in local store, left area on side of knee calf with lrg purple black bruise about 4"wide x 8-9 inch long, plan to fly from Delaware to Calif tomorrow, should I be concerned, age 65?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Should I be concerned about a purple bruise on my knee caused due to falling objects? 6 minutes later
Accident happened 3 days ago.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

Your question is a good one. You're obviously referring to the possibility of a risk regarding a cloct in your legs. We refer to this as a XXXXXXX venous thrombosis. The fact that you had trauma to your legs does slightly increase the risk of a blood clot.

I would recommend you do a few things during your trip in order to minimize the risk of a blood clot. The first thing I would recommend prior to your trip is to make sure your leg is elevated as much as possible when you're not walking around. This will help the swelling that is associated with the clot, you recently experienced. It will also minimize the risk of a blood clot as well. In addition I would recommend you take a baby aspirin once daily from now until the time you reach your destination. While we do not have any significant data that proves that this will help you I feel it would certainly minimize the risk. Finally on the airplane I recommend you take several trips back and forth from your seat to the bathroom in order to facilitate the lowering of the risk that you could potentially develop a blood clot.

Finally I would keep an eye on your leg and monitor for any progression of the swelling that has occurred related to your recent trauma. Sometimes your leg may swell a little bit one or two days after the trauma. If you notice increasing amounts of swelling or pain in your leg you should have your physician examine you.

Thank you very much for submitting your question. I hope my answer has been both adequate and informative. I am available if you have any additional follow-ups.

With regards,

Dr. Robert