Should I be concerned about a mole that hurts/sores sometimes and could it be symptom of melanoma?

I have a mole on my back that I can not see well, but around it and the muscle underneath have been hurting and/or sore every once in a while for a couple of months now. I do have a long family history of melanoma cancer, so I try to keep up on checking my moles, but I can not really see the one on my back. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is that not part of a symptom of melanoma? Thank you for your help. -Andrea-
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Too early to bother Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, With a history of a melanoma, its but normal to be worried. However, I do think, it is too early to be so worried. It is important to get the mole and general area examined by a a doctor. From your description however, I am afraid I would really not think this is a melanoma. The classical presentation of a melanoma does not present like a mole, and the site is not a very common site for melanomas. It is still however prudent to get examined by a doctor. Thanks and hope this helps. Please do feel free asking follow up questions in case of any specific concerns. i would be glad making my humble contribution. Kind regards DR Bain