Should I be concerned about a golf sized painful lump behind my knee?

General Surgeon
Question
A machine I was in flipped over two months ago. I jumped out as it flipped and was hit in the thigh area of my leg. I limped for about 2 weeks and that got better. However, the area has continued to have a numb feeling and now there is about a golf ball sized lump which is painful to the touch to the right and behind my left knee. Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bakers cyst. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your symptoms are most likely caused by Bakers cyst. Due to some knee injury, a pathological connection between the joint and the tissues appear. This leads to joint fluid accumulation under the knee. As a result you have a golf sized lump behind the knee. I suggest you to visit a surgeon and confirm this diagnose. Ultrasound might be necessary. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: Should I be concerned about a golf sized painful lump behind my knee? 5 minutes later
Thanks - it isn't exactly behind my knee, if my knee is 12 on a clock the lump is at 3. Also, just above my right thigh has a numb feeling/ moderate pain if pushed on. Does this make a difference in the diagnosis? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: It does not make any difference. Such cyst does not have to be located exactly behind the knee. If it is large enough, nerves compression is possible what can give numbness and pain. Cyst itself can also be painful. Ultrasound is necessary. Regards.

Follow-up: Should I be concerned about a golf sized painful lump behind my knee? 3 minutes later
Thanks again - is it urgent to see a doctor/get ultrasound? Will it be okay if it is a few days before I am able to see a doctor?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: It is not urgent. you may wait few days or even a week. In a meanwhile try to elevate your legs when lying down(put a pillow under the leg). Regards.