Should Advil be stopped when on Ibuprofen and Medrol?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am one month post cervical laminotomy. Have been taking ibuprofen 800mg tid and was started on a Medrol dose pak today for nerve pain. Forgot to ask if I should stop the high dose advil.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can hold high dose of Advil Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As you are taking strong anti-inflammatory with analgesic like medrol and ibuprofen, you can hold high dose of Advil. For these symptoms neurotropic medication [methylcobalamine] can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Should Advil be stopped when on Ibuprofen and Medrol? 8 minutes later
My question was should I hold my high dose Ibprofen(advil) I am using these names interchangeably.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes you need to continue but you can lower dose. Detailed Answer: Hello again, Yes you need to continue advil but you can reduce dose to 800mg bid. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.