Shortness of breath, fatigue, sore muscles and frequent headache

Hi..let me start by saying I have been short on breath, very fatigued, sore muscles and extremely tired. I consider myself to be somewhat fit...I exercise 3 to 4 times a week. I also feel my hear rate increase at the smallest bit of carrying in the groceries. I am 43, 5'8",140 lbs. I have also had frequent headaches. Please help.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 18 minutes later
Hello there,

Thank you for writing in. I am a cardiologist and read your email with diligence.

You exercise 3-4 times a week and you get short of breath with increased heart rate with smallest of exertion seem to be contradictory statements. I assume you are referring to what you could do sometime before and presently what you have.

If I were asked to enumerate causes for recent onset shortness of breath in an otherwise non obese, 43 year young lady who also get some headaches, I would suspect and exclude heart and lung disease first.

I would suggest you to fix an appointment and see your doctor who would do detailed physical examination and order simple investigations like EKG, Chest Radiograph and may be a Treadmill Test. Also look for risk factors for heart disease by doing lipid profile and fasting blood sugar.

If your doctor finds that you are pale or anaemic, haemoglobin levels (blood test) can be ordered.

Are you having normal menstruation cycle? - If there is any issue there a pelvic examination seems to be in order. Further investigations shall depend what is found or not found so far.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

With Best Wishes,

Dr Anil Grover