Shortness of breath, fatigue, no chest pain or cold sweats. Family history of heart problems. Do I need bypass surgery?

Question
I HAVE SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND FATIGUE. NO CHEST PAIN OR COLD SWEATS. MY MOM HAD THE SAME SYMPTOMS AND HAD TO HAVE A QUAD BYPASS. IS THERE A GOOD CHANCE THE SAME CONDITION COULD BE MINE?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Dyspnoea and fatigue without chest pain and cold sweats may include reasons in the lungs as much as the heart. Genetic factors may play a role in the susceptibility of ischemic heart disease as per studies but not entirely.

If these are recent symptoms, then you would need evaluation of the cardiopulmonary system especially in the background of diabetes, hypercholesterolemia.

Another small reason could be anemia and nutritional deficiencies. So, your overall health condition would have a bearing rather than the mother factor in your case, I believe.

Is Bisoprolol prescribed for hypertension ? If so, then, hypertension is another to the important list of reasons. Long term hypertension is a risk factor on the road of compensated heart failure - so either case I am sure you want to be evaluated soon with your doctor.

Lung function tests and cardiac parameters with a clinical examination would bring out the diagnosis.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.