Shortness of breath due to exertion. Using Plumicort, Servent and Albuterol. Need advice on exercise and dietary modification

I am 72, 6 ft. 1 in., 170 lbs. I racewalk 4 to 8 miles daily at about 15 mins. per mile, sometimes less. However, I have problems with shortness of breathing when playing tennis. I use 1 puff of plumicort and 1 of servent every morning and most of the time a puff of albuterol beofre starting my walk. Are there exercises, dietary changes or other medications that would help me be comfortable on a tennis court?

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. You are a known asthmatic on pulmicort, servent and albuterol inhalers, and race walk 4-8 miles a day doing a mile in 15 minutes but feel breathless while playing tennis.

Well, I would first like to know if pulmonary function tests have been done on you. Sometimes in a chronic asthmatic, there can be a degree of restrictive functioning of lungs that may not bother even with fast walking but can surface with a more strenuous activity like tennis.

What you can do is yogic breathing exercises to increase your lung capacity. There are also preparations with n-acetyl cysteine that causes release of nitrous oxide in lungs and improves its capacity.

Please revert back with a follow up query if there is one.