Shortness of breath after stopping smoking. What should be done now?

Quit smoking 6 days ago after only two years of smoking. Experiencing most unpleasant withdrawals but the one of most concern is the shortness of breath. Loose cough in the morning now with phlem which I understand is part of the process. The shortness of breath is not present at all at bedtime nor do I cough. The breathing issue is my main concern - started two days after final smoke date. Walking any distance is now an issue
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its a part of the withdrawal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Smoking causes nicotine to enter you body and taking it daily for 2 years has made your body dependent on it. The moment you leave it, the withdrawal symptoms are bound to appear. The withdrawal symptoms are the most important roadblock for successful cessation for smoking.
The symptoms of shortness of breath, cough with phlegm are all part of the withdrawal symptoms and you need not bother and try to tolerate it. Only thing is that you are known hypertensive and hence a withdrawal state can increase your BP and hence a BP check should be done.
If you are able to tolerate the withdrawal symptoms then you should take some XXXXXXX gums which will reduce your withdrawal symptoms. They have nicotine in it although much less than what is present in smoke.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.