Short tempered, restless, abnormal behaviour, insomnia, smoke and drinks, depression. Suggest?

My son(33yrs) is 1.Short tempered .2.restless 3.abnormal behaviour .4.irregular in day to day life. 5.lack of self confidance. 6.insomnia 7.smokes and drinks(not regularly).8.TV viewer specially crime pictures 9.suffering from depression.
please suggest treatment
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 19 minutes later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I would like you to give me further details regarding the below mentioned points so that I can serve you better.
1) How long has he had these problems?
2) How regular is he drinking alcohol?
3) Has he approached any treatment?
4) were there any previous psychiatric history?
Hope to hear from you soon,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow-up: Short tempered, restless, abnormal behaviour, insomnia, smoke and drinks, depression. Suggest? 17 minutes later
answers:1 since 2008 2. Once or twice in a week 3.No 4.No
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for clarifications
From the history you have given there is certainly some psychological problem in your son. It is very unlikely for it to be a depression as the episode cannot last this long continuously.
Although he will require an in depth psychiatric assessment with Rorschach testing and sentence completion tests.
The probable reasons for his behaviour could be :
1)Personality disorder
2) Bipolar mood disorder (especially type 2)
3) Dystymia
These three entities can only be diagnosed by a detailed psychiatric evaluation. You need to visit a psychiatrist for this in-depth analysis.
From your location I understand that you are from Bangalore and NIMHANS will be a good option to get your son evaluated.
He may respond good to the drugs like quetiapine, valproate and fluoxetine, escitalopram, mirtazapine etc. However the exact drug will be decided only after the final diagnosis is made.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.