Short and light periods, have copper coil, hormonal test showed unusual LH level, negative pregnancy test. Any ideas?

Question
My periods have become very short and light. I have a copper coil fitted which has been in situ for 1 year and 7 months. I recently began lactating too, ive never had a baby although I may have miscarried in 2007 very early into a pregnancy. I had hormonal tests indicting an unusual level of LH. Pregnancy test was negative a few days before I was due last cycle but I haven't repeated it. Waiting an appointment with an endocronologist. Any ideas what it might be?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A milky discharge from the breast is common due to mild hormonal changes in the body.
Chronic breast stimulation, such as from frequent breast self-exams or sexual activity also is one of the common causes of galactorrhoea. If your pregnancy test was negative then it is not likely to be due to pregnancy. Serum HCG test is more specific than a urine for pregnancy test.
The other possible causes are mammary duct ectasia, an underactive thyroid gland, tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland, etc.
All these causes can be ruled out after some simple blood tests and a detailed examination from your endocrinologist.
Abnormally high levels of LH are indicative of early ovarian failure. This might also be responsible for having a light bleeding during your periods.
Getting an opinion from endocrinologist will be helpful.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Short and light periods, have copper coil, hormonal test showed unusual LH level, negative pregnancy test. Any ideas? 5 hours later
Would early ovarian failure mean infertility? What would be the reason for this happening? If we were to want children at some point would it be best to remove the coil and start to attempt to get pregnant sooner rather than later as it may take longer? Or is it likely to not happen for us? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Early ovarian failure is indicative of infertility. There is no specific cause for this condition. If you want to plan a baby then it is best to plan one as soon as possible as at this stage, there are chances of a successful conception with the help of appropriate medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Thank you. Should I ask my GP to do any specific blood tests etc in perparation for my endocrine appointment? I am currently studying for midwifery and having a baby now would not really fit in with our plans - would I be foolish to wait as we do at some point (within the next 3-4 years).

Many thanks

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can ask you GP to get your serum FSH, LH and Prolactin levels evaluated on day 3 of your cycle. This will help your endocrinologist to have a better and early assessment.
After consulting the endocrinologist and these blood tests, it will be wise to decide when you should plan your second baby.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.