Shooting, sharp pains in my vagina opening after having a surgical abortion. What to do?

General Surgeon
Question
I had a surgical abortion over 3 weeks ago (3 weeks, 4 days) and I had my follow-up appointment last Friday. In the clinic I took a urine test in the clinic and they said I was no longer pregnant. Their test consisted of them dropping some of my urine onto a plate that swirled. Today I have been having these quick, shooting, sharp pains in my vagina opening area. It is alarming and I have been searching my symptoms online and a lot of the results seem to say that this happens a lot during pregnancy. I have still been feeling some minor pain in my pelvic area..but I just assume it is still healing?
So I have a few questions...1. is it possible that the test at the clinic could be wrong? (I would still be pregnant) 2. Could this be some type of infection or is it just part of the normal healing process? 3. If I had an ectopic pregnancy, would the doctors pregnancy test be negative?
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It takes some time to heal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It is the normal healing process.
Pelvic pain does not suggest pregnancy.
After abortion it takes time for uterus to heal.you are in that phase.
Pregnancy test will be positive in ectopic.
Test can comw wrong sometimes.you can repeat the test.
It is not infection.But, i put my patients on antibiotics as prophylaxis.
You can get an ultrasound abdomen and confirm the status
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Shooting, sharp pains in my vagina opening after having a surgical abortion. What to do? 29 minutes later
So do you know what type of pregnancy test I am referring to? It was not the drug store kind but it was a higher technology. The nurse said it is very accurate. However, can it still be a false negative?

Brief Answer:
It could be accurate

Detailed Answer:
Hi
If the pregnancy test is highly technical,then chances of false negative result is zero.
If are still having doubt,get your HCG levels checked.
Wish you good health