Shock sensation from left arm to elbow while running in. Should express concern?

I am a regular runner and when I go on long runs (8 or more miles), the part of my arm below my elbow will have a shock sensations a few times. Mostly my left arm. This shock feeling occurs mostly toward the end of my long runs.

Any idea if this is something I should be concerned?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information, I appreciated it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Do you have any chest pain, arm weakness, muscle pain, giddiness during or after your run ?

Do you get any tingling sensation or numbness of the left arm ?

According to your history it appear that the thick nerve on the inner side of your elbow may be stretched inappropriately due to the motion of the elbow during the run. This can also be associated with dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.

This can cause shock like sensation and pain along the elbow and forearm. Sometimes tingling and numbness may be associated over the forearm.

Kindly apply an arm band and forearm band to prevent the nerve from getting stretched. Keep well hydrated with water and electrolytes to prevent any deficiencies.

Kindly do respond to the above queries.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Shock sensation from left arm to elbow while running in. Should express concern? 1 hour later
Thanks for your detailed response. As to your questions my left arm clearly has weakness following a long run. No numbness or tingling exists.

Any further information is appreciated. My main concern is that I am not experiencing stroke symptons. I have had a heart stress test, so not worried about the heart.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 38 minutes later
Hi there.

Stroke usually presents with weakness with one half of the body commonly. When only one limb is affected along with stretching feeling and pain at the elbow it is more likely due to local nerve injury at the elbow joint.

Since your heart stress test was fine and if no risk factors for stroke like high blood pressure, high cholesterol level in blood, diabetes etc.

If these risk factors are not present then less chance for stroke.

Kindly follow the above mentioned solution for the problem of your nerve pulling sensation. Do consult a Neurologist for the possible nerve damage which has caused weakness of your arm and also for pain management. Certain tests may need to be done like Nerve conduction study etc. to correctly diagnose and manage your symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing a speedy recovery.