Shiny urine when dries, diabetic. Why?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I'm 55 yrs old. Have type two diabetes. My urine is shiny when it dries. Why?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 40 minutes later
In uncontrolled diabetes, the blood sugar is frequently raised to a greater extent than the kidneys can handle and so some sugars are excreted in urine which is termed as glucosuria.
In advanced cases, if renal damage occurs, then protein present in the may also be excreted causing proteinuria.
Now normally our urine is without such sediments of glucose or protein and therefore less dense and watery but in diabetes it may have such crystals of sugar on drying making it shiny .
I would advise you to get your urine routine tests done and if glucosuria is present, then consult your physician so that the dose of your medication can be titrated accordingly and optimal blood sugar levels can be achieved.
As such it is not a worrisome situation but if blood sugar is uncontrolled for long duration like months to years it can give rise to kidney, eye and vascular complications.
Hope I have answered your query.