Shins swollen, elastic shins for relief. How can it be permanently treated?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor,

I get my both shins swollen and then the shins get swollen most during the day then I get cracking pain in the shins...Then I put on my elastic shins for relief....It gets better....This is happening about 35 years before...I have my 3 blood flow tests for blood flow...These tests are normal and there is no abnormality about the blood flow....

My both XXXXXXX bones also get painful and swollen and when i thumb press it leave a XXXXXXX pits on the skin...

For the last 2 years it got bit less swollen as I can feel the softness of the shins..But still I need to put my XXXXXXX elastic for compression...Even when I am sleeping I feel like cracking pain then I need to put on my elastic to compress the shin/bone...I feel better then...

No Medical practitioner could get me the right answer....Please help...

Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
Hi there.

Are you engaged in work that involves lot of walking, climbing, or strenuous exercise regularly ?

Do you have such swelling over any other part of the body like face, hands, back ?

Do you feel lethargic, intolerance to cold weather, weight gain, constipation ?

From the clinical history provided it appears you may be having possible inflammatory cause for your swelling because it is associated wit pain and possible tenderness.

There could be various causes for the same like Autoimmune disease, Rheumatoid arthritis, low calcium in bones causing Osteomalacia, thyroid dysfunction, kidney disorders, liver disorders etc.

I would recommend you get your Serum electrolytes estimated as well as Serum calcium, Serum Vitamin D3 levels, Routine blood work and ESR.

If you have low calcium in bones and blood even an X-ray will be able to show changes in the long bones and spine which is complementary to making a diagnosis of low calcium in your body.

You need to take a diet XXXXXXX in calcium and vitamin D like nuts, fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, eggs, milk, fish oils, chicken, lean meat. Also Calcium supplements can be taken only when recommended by your Doctor for the same. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do mild walking exercise everyday to remain fit and prevent obesity.

Kindly continue applying the elastic stocking or bandage to relieve yourself of the pain and swelling. Avoid much strenuous activity. Sunlight exposure is known to increase calcium production in the body as well.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.