Shingles shot,cold with sinus congestion,blood blister on both side eardrum,blood discharge

Hello. I am 69 year old male. About a week after having a Shingles shot I began to have a bad cold. On Monday a blood blister formed on my ear drum left ear. And has had some blood discharge. On Wednesday formed in my right ear on ear drum and also has had blood discharge. I also have a bad cold with sinus congestion. I am concerned that my bleeding ear drums might be cause for greater concern. Are they symptoms of bigger sickness or just go away as my cold gets better?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Your blood blister and bloody discharge along with a shot of shingles can possibly be a reactivation of Shingles virus on face. This virus lies dormant in the nerves and gets reactivated. Reactivation of that virus occurs in low immune states.

In your case it maybe due to:
1. Diabetes being an immunosuppressive condition can flare the virus.
2. If you take chemotherapy drugs it can be a potential reason for flare up.
3. Immunity also decreases as one ages.

Your cold with sinus infection maybe due to secondary bacterial infection superimposing on the viral infection.

Bleeding from the ear drum is probably due to the secondary bacterial infection of the blister and causing it to rupture.

I would advice you consult your Primary / Geriatric specialist. He will do an thorough ear examination with an Otoscope. After which he will prescribe you with antivirals and antibiotics. This also helps your cold and sinus infection.

Shingles is mostly a self limiting condition and certainly not a life threatening condition. Early treatment reduces the chances of complications like ear drum rupture.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.