Shinbone injury, painful swelling, increasing size. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell and hit my shinbone hard. It has a swelling like a goose egg that is very painful, it swells bigger and get more painful when I walk on it. What should I do? Should I see a doctor?

My e-mail address: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The goose egg like lump which you notice seems to be a haematoma (internal bleeding) that's usually caused by rupture of some blood vessel in the area of injury. Usually these swellings are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.

Haematoma's are very painful. You can go to your family physician or orthopaedician and depending upon its size and severity they can decide to either excise it surgically or allow it to regress on its own. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess.

In my opinion, do a cold compress twice a day, take absolute bed rest, take some anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice, supported walking and if this doesn't work go for an x XXXXXXX or sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.