Shifting neck pain. Allergic since childhood. Suggestion?

ENT Specialist
I am having shifting neck pain . There is no lump or anything .. It started near Wind pipe .. When I appraoched a doctor, she asked me to use antibiotics for 3 days and ear drops for 3 days . She said it could be some type of an infection .. But , it changes places.. Once the pain is below the ear, some times, it is right under the jaw.. I am not seeing any pattern .. Please suggest what to do ? I have been allergic from my child hood and underwent a treatment for the same 15 years ago
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Shifting neck pain originating near the windpipe may be due to the following reasons:
a. Sore throat including allergy.
b. Acid reflux. (Laryngo Pharyngeal reflux or LPR)
c. Thyroiditis.
d. Referred pains. Get your ears examined by an ENT Specialist.

2. Three days of treatment may be insufficient. Discuss with your doctor and continue medication. Ask her to add an anti allergic and pain killer.

3. Get a videolaryngoscopy done.

4. An infection would be unusual without fever, local inflammation and lymph node tenderness in the neck. This may also explain the discomfort and shifting pains in the neck.

5. Imaging studies (such as an ultrasound or scans) are of use in examining the deeper regions in the neck. Routine blood tests may be advised by your physician.

6. The simplest course of action will be to continue antibiotics, anti-allergics, anti-inflammatory agents, medicated gargles and anti-reflux medication and investigate further if there is no relief after a week of treatment.

7. I must emphasize that the chance of a serious problem (with such a short history) at your age is rare.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.