Shaved around private parts and around base of penis. Bumps are like skin tags. Genital warts. Should I seek medical attention?

Question
several weeks ago I shaved around my privates and nicked myself near the base of my penis. now I have 3 bumps that look like skin tags. My horror is it's genital warts, however they don't look like the warts I've seen pictures of. I'm too embarrassed to see my regular Dr., how do I know for sure that either I shouldn't worry, or seek medical attention. It's been 3.5 weeks now and the nubs are still there.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry..just the complication of wund healing

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this skin tags and the troubling thoughts you have had about them.

When you get a wound, new tissue is produced to get it completely healed. In some instances, excess of it is produced and this causes keloids. This is probably what you are describing. It is a known complication of wound healing. Unlike warts, they are not caused by an infection with HPV, they cannot be transmitted to others and have no potential of becoming cancerous. The only inconvenience is that it may not present good to you and/or your partner. But for esthetics, there is nothing more to worry about.

There is no reason to see a doctor for this unless you are not comfortable and may want to get them removed. Also, it is pretty early and they may actually regress over time. So I would advice that you monitor this a little more before taking any aggressive measures.

I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. I hope it also relieves you of the anxiety. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be.
I wish you good health.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Shaved around private parts and around base of penis. Bumps are like skin tags. Genital warts. Should I seek medical attention? 5 minutes later
The whole keloid thing was something I hadn't considered. I am not opposed to uploading a picture just to make sure if you think it would help clarify. Just lmk

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Feel free to upload one

Detailed Answer:
Please, feel free to upload and I would take a look and send back my thoughts.

Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Shaved around private parts and around base of penis. Bumps are like skin tags. Genital warts. Should I seek medical attention? 29 minutes later
I uploaded a pic, it doesn't do justice, but hopefully you'll get the idea.
Thanks Doc.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is okay, stay relaxed!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for the image.

I have reviewed it and it is very consistent with what i already mentioned. They are very small and should probably disappear overtime or at least regress significantly. Do not get worried by this. This is clearly as a result of irritation of the skin. Ii can as well see some very tiny spots close to your finger which also showed that this area was at least involved as well. Just be very careful next so as to avoid similar lesions.

Thanks and wish you well. There is no need to get worried or seek medical attention for this. Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Shaved around private parts and around base of penis. Bumps are like skin tags. Genital warts. Should I seek medical attention? 9 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Ditah:
If things don't regress within the next several weeks, I'll contact you again. I sincerely appreciate your diagnosis and will recommend this site to any of my friends who may have concerns.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you, too!

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your kind words.

I am always available to attend to you at any time. Feel free to request for my services at any time the need arises. Thank you too for considering recommending to your friends who may need expert's advice.

I wish you well and looking forward to your updates over the next several weeks.
So long as it is regressing, be patient and don't rush for medical intervention.
Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD