Sharp stomach pain radiating to back causing weakness and sweating. Cause and cure?

General Surgeon
Sharp stomach pain, that goes through to the back , then I feel weak and start sweating
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Please give some more details about the pain:
- does it start after a meal, any specific food like fatty food, spicy food or alcohol
- is nausea and vomiting present
- do you use any medicines (like pain killers)
- any problems with stool or urine (loose stools, constipation, whitish stool, blood in stool, frequent urinating, burning while urinating)

Upper middle or right stomach pain radiating to the back is most likely caused by gallstones. The pain usually appears after a meal (fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol). Nausea and/or vomiting can be also present.
Similar to gallstones symptoms can also appear with pancreas inflammation. However abdominal pain is very strong, abdomen gets hard and vomiting appears even after water intake.

Upper middle abdomen pain can be also caused by peptic ulcers or stomach inflammation. In such case, the pain appears after 1-2 hours of the meal, nausea or acid reflux can be also present.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some basic tests. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests and urine analysis should be done at first. If nothing will be found, gastroscopy should be considered.

For temporal help with pain you may try hot bath, Metamizole, Buscolisine. Please also avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol and coffee.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Sharp stomach pain radiating to back causing weakness and sweating. Cause and cure? 55 minutes later
Thank you for your advice can this kind of pain be associated with food poisining ? The pain killers i usually use is nurofen and yes the pains starts after or during eating. Reason I'm asking about food poisining is cause i warmed some left over chicken a few days back, afterward I started feeling sick when I checked the container it said Do Not Reheat, since then been feeling really awful and nuseaus
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Yes, food poisoning is possible. With food poisoning nausea, vomiting, diarrhea are usually present. Fever can also appear. Food poisoning usually does not give the pain radiating to the back. And you should be improving if the food poisoning is the reason.

It is also possible that mentioned chicken has triggered your stomach,gallbladder or pancreas problem. Pain associated with meal and back pain indicates it. It does not have to be a serious problem, just a mild stomach irritation (or inflammation), pancreas irritation. But I suggest you to have it diagnosed. Especially if the pain is not getting better.

So please follow mentioned before advice and have mentioned tests done.

Hope this will help.