Sharp stabbing pain in chest and neck while swallowing. What could be causing this?

Question
Since sunday (today being the fourth day) every time I swallow wether it be food or drink i get this sharp stabbing pain in the middle of my chest and pain in the lower neck its like i can feel it go down, today it has gotten worse having pain in my chest when Im not even drinking or eating. this morning I woke up and layed in bed and for about an hour every couple of seconds I had the chest pains. I am 23 female
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 37 minutes later
For your symptoms peptic ulcers are important to be ruled out.

Peptic ulcers are ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract. Most of them are caused by the bacterium H. Pylori and some are worsened by drugs such as aspirin, Plavix (clopidogrel), ibuprofen, and other NSAIDs. They can affect the esophagus, stomach, duodenum or meckel’s diverticulum and cause abdominal pain, bloating, fullness, nausea, heartburns, acidity and vomitings.

It can cause perforation, bleeding into the abdomen and swelling due to ulcers causes narrowing in the duodenum and gastric outlet obstruction. Upper GI endoscopy is the commonest investigation and detection of H.Pylori is made by urea breath test, measurement of antibody levels in blood and detection of urease activity in a biopsy specimen by rapid urease test. So consult a gastroenterologist and get these investigations done.

For peptic ulcers, try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Treatment of choice is by antacids, H2 blockers and PPI inhibitors like Omeprazole and Rabeprazole. Perforated peptic ulcers need surgical intervention.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sharp stabbing pain in chest and neck while swallowing. What could be causing this? 6 hours later
hi i just went to the doctors he found that i had a very very high temperature i think it was 29. he has got me to getan ultra sound on my neck and blood tests, he said it may be something to do with the thyroid . what do you think?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 days later

Thanks fro writing back to me.

Your doctor might be suspecting thyroid nodule for which ultrasound has been advised. Most thyroid nodules don't cause signs or symptoms. Occasionally, however, some nodules become so large that they can be felt, be seen, often as a swelling at the base of your neck and press on your windpipe or esophagus, causing shortness of breath or difficulty swallowing.

Ultrasound provides the best information about the shape and structure of nodules and may be used to distinguish cysts from solid nodules.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sharp stabbing pain in chest and neck while swallowing. What could be causing this? 14 hours later
i havnt had my ultra sound yet however blood results came back and only thing wrong was vitamin b was low so i will have to get an injection, could this cause my pain or would it be just something they have picked up during the tests. also last night i woke up in the middle of the night shaking uncontrollably, i couldnt speak either it only lasted about 15-20 seconds but was very scary because i woke up abruptly to find i was not in control of my body.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Vitamin B deficiency can cause confusion, headache, insomnia or irritability, fatigue, skin symptoms like dermatitis, dry skin, cracks at the corners of the mouth, frequent bruising and wounds that require a long time to heal and tingling and numbness sensations.

Low vitamin B levels does not cause pain or difficulty in swallowing. However it could cause insomnia. Your thyroid status also needs to be checked as it can also cause these symptoms.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.