Sharp stabbing pain in breast. Why is it swollen? Lump from near nipple. Now what?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I had a sharp stabbing pain in my left breast and today its slightly swollen and tender. I cannot actually detect any lump but it seems to be coming from an area slightly over and to the right to the nipple. It does not seems like period pain and the right breast is ok.
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
thanks for the query.

according to your description the possible causes for your symptoms are,

1.fibro cystic disease of the breast: sometimes small noncancerous lumps will occur in the breast usually because of hormonal influence.
Sometimes lumps may not be felt.
Swelling, tenderness of the breast, itchy nipples can be seen in this.

2. mastitis :
You didn’t mention about your parity, at present lactating or not?
Though mastitis is common in lactating women it can also be seen in non pregnant women.
It is characterized by pain, swelling, redness of the breast in case of presence of breast abscess fever can also be seen.

3. changes during pregnancy:
These changes can be seen in early pregnancy, so if that possibility is there better to for pregnancy test once.

4. presence of lumps(fibroadenoma) or cysts in the breast.

Now you once visit local gynecologist or general surgeon and undergo checkup if needed go for mammogram which will help in diagnosing the cause.
Depending on the result you can take the treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Sharp stabbing pain in breast. Why is it swollen? Lump from near nipple. Now what? 41 hours later
Thank you for your reply. The swelling went down and it appeared that the source of pain was a muscle underneath. Perhaps it was the reason I could not detect any lump. Unfortunately, my stomach and back muscles on the left side are painful and I can feel a stabbing pain near mu spine. I have never had this symptoms before.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
it is good that you recovered from breast pain.

the possible causes for your abdomen and back pain are,
-muscle pain:
due to straining or lifting heavy weights,
faulty posture, sitting without support,
sleeping or sitting in same position for prolonged periods.

-renal causes like renal calculi, pyelonephritis etc, but these are usually associated with other features like nausea, fever etc.

-gynecological causes: you didn't mention regarding your menstrual cycle and chance of pregnancy.
pain can be present during ovulation or before menstruation,
adhesions due to prior ectopic surgery can also lead to pain.

if there is chance of pregnancy you go for urine pregnancy test once,
depending on the result,
if positive consult gynecologist and take one ultrasound.
if negative and pain is mild take one analgesic,
in case of severe pain or pain not subsiding after analgesic consult local general surgeon to rule out the cause.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.