Sharp, severe pain in right leg. Had miscarriage. Does it require medical attention or is it normal?

hello..its about 2 weeks after a miscarriage.(7weeks) and my wife is feeling sharp pains in her right leg. numbness and tingling started first in the thigh. then sharp pains that she described as feeling like the muscle being cut. the tingling lasts most of the day when walking or sitting. then when putting pressure on leg while bending to sit on bed she gets the sharp pain and can barely walk with my help. the sharp pain feels like a 1000 needles stabbing the muscle. is this normal after a miscarriage and how long can it last and do we need to go to the hospital? can we handle with out going to hospital?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

I can understand your concern for your wife and the pain that she is experiencing.

If she had any spinal anesthesia during miscarriage (D+C) then there is a chance of nerve compression and injury during the procedure which could have caused these symptoms. This is not normal during a miscarriage and can happen as a complication of spinal anesthesia. Other possibilities are vitamin D and nerve conduction velocity test done to rule out any nerve compression or a MRI spine done. She should also get her vitamin D levels and B 12 levels checked and take vitamin D supplements and vitamin B 12 supplements for some days. Non vegetarian food is an excellent source of vitamin B12 and if she is not a vegetarian then should take more of it.

This should decrease with time. But if there is any worsening of symptoms then you need to consult a doctor and get peripheral vascular disease ruled out. A neurological examination from a neurologist may also be needed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.