Sharp pains in right side of lower stomach. Got blood in bowel movement. Appendix or possible ovarian cyst?

General Surgeon
Question
I have been having sharp pains in my right side of my lower stomach for about a month now, these pains are accompained by Large Bowl movements which contain large amounts of bright red blood. I went to doctor about 3 weeks ago and explained about the pains in my side and got referred to A&E where they diagisnosed grumbbling appendix's or possible ovarian cyst. There was no bleeding in my Bowl Movements when i first went to get the pains check but now its getting worrying as the pains are sharper and bowl movements more often with scary amounts of blood each time. any ideas as to what this may be?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 23 minutes later
Hi
Right sided lower abdominal pain can be due to Appendicitis,Right ovarian cyst,Right sided kidney stone,Amoebiasis etc.
Ultrasound will confirm ovarian cyst.But,appendicitis is diifficult to be diagnosed in ultrasound scan as the position of it is not constant and is seen only when it is grossly infected and enlarged.But,CT scan will confirm the diagnosis.But,appendicitis will not cause bleeding in stool.
colon like polyps etc.
If bowel movements are more associated with blood in stools,it can be dysentry.
Please take Ofloxacin and Ornidazole tablet,Pre and probiotic capsule.
Please get a Contrast enhanced CT scan abdomen and it will confirm the diagnosis.
IF you come back with CT scan,i will clarify further

Follow-up: Sharp pains in right side of lower stomach. Got blood in bowel movement. Appendix or possible ovarian cyst? 4 minutes later
Can this bleeding whilst having bowl movements clear on its own without medication? do you think the pain is linked to the bleeding bowl movements?

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 26 minutes later
Hi
If the bleeding is due to infection,you have to take medicines as mentioned above.Without them,it is not possible to clear it.
Yah,the pain will occur during bowel movements when there is infection in the gut.
Please add antispasmodic like Dicyclomine tablet also.
But,get a CT scan abdomen for correct diagnosis

Follow-up: Sharp pains in right side of lower stomach. Got blood in bowel movement. Appendix or possible ovarian cyst? 6 minutes later
Thanks I will do that

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 5 minutes later
Hi
Please come back with CT scan report.
Hope it is a simple infection of the gut which can be easily cured with medicines.
Wish you good health and speedy recovery