Sharp pain under breast. Taking valacyclovir and aleve for viral infection. Easy way to get cure?

I am a 70 year old women and have a dull sometimes a sharp pain under my right breast.It started about a month ago after I had not been feeling well.My Dr. gave me a prescription for a viral infection Valacyclovir 500MG to take for a week.I also took Aleve. It certainly helped.
It hurts more when I wear a bra. My eating or exercising has no effect on the pain. In the begining the pain would go under the breast and around to the middle of my back but just under my breast now. I can't get an appointment for a month with my Dr. I was hoping for an answer. Thank You
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later

It seems your doctor gave those medicines for a viral infection known as herpes zoster or shingles. In most of the cases lesions or the rash heals but the pain persists at the site of affliction( known as post herpetic neuralgia)

To treat post herpetic neuralgia or this residual pain multiple options are available like
1) pain killers like paracetamol, ibuprofen, naproxen, tramadol
2) anti epileptics like pregablin or gabapentin
3) antidepressants like amitryptalline or nortryptalline
4) topical therapies like application of camphor, menthol, capsaicin or lidocaine
5) transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
Usually a combination of any of these is given to control pain depending on its severity

Right now as the area of pain sensation has decreased and pain is not severe, taking a painkiller would suffice. If its mild you can take ibuprofen or paracetamol or naproxen. If its moderate try tramadol paracetamol combination. Application of local anaesthetic lidocaine or capsaicin cream would help too.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be further doubt, feel free to write to us again.