Sharp pain left side of body. Should i be worried?

I have been having a really sharp pain on left side, feels around the heart area and my fingers ache, the finger next to my small finger feel swollen, in fact my left hand feels swollen, the pain in the heart area has been very sharp today and is getting worse. My thumb feels like it is swelling as well. My shoulder blade also has sharp pains
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 47 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Any pain at this age should be investigated as HEART PAIN – UNLESS PROVED OTHERWISE. You need an EKG and blood work up (Cardiac marker)
In suspected heart attack, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.
Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise

In the setting of sarcoid, chest and cervical spine should also be investigated.
You may need X-rays of Chest and Spine for favour of further assessment and assistance.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Sharp pain left side of body. Should i be worried? 27 minutes later
I have just completed a 5000m row on a professional rowing machine and feel ok. my time was my best time, the pain is still there but has subsided.

Any further thoughts now?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 20 minutes later

That is really strenuous effort - and for all practical purposes excludes coronary artery disease, as a cause of your chest pain. The situation does not sound alarm and is not likely to be an emergency - but can not be neglected, if the pain continues.

It could be simple spasm or injury to the muscle from the hard work. Try simple OTC (over the counter) NSAID (Ibuprofen. Skeletal muscle relaxant may also be useful in addition.

However, go for a supervised TMT (Treadmill Exercise EKG) - later on.
An ECHOcardiogram is in order to see the heart muscle in particular (Cardiomyopathy) - in view of past history of sarcoid.

All the best
Follow-up: Sharp pain left side of body. Should i be worried? 16 minutes later
So I do not need to go to A and E? Also I pushed myself very very hard for 25 minutes, the pain goes from very very sharp to nothing and my palm in my left hand hurts along with my fingers. My breathing is regular and no sweats, as I am writing the pain is coming back but then subsides. Do you think it could be carpal tunnel syndrome as I am at a keyboard all day typing? I am going to see a specialist at the XXXXXXX Hospital so hopefully they will find the problem. If you can advise any further please do, thank you
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 48 minutes later

You SHOULD go the A & E.
That is the wise option.
Seeing is believing. Examination is better than guessing.
A Pneumo-thorax (air leaking from lung), for example can also cause similar pain.
Have an EKG, Chest X-ray NOW. And others at leisure.

Carpal tunnel will not extend back to the chest - not beyond the elbow. That will not be intermittent.

Take Care
Good luck
Follow-up: Sharp pain left side of body. Should i be worried? 32 minutes later
I have had two co codamol and 2 aspirins and the pain has gone??????????
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later

Happy to hear that the pain has gone.
Hopefully it won't return.

Each one of the three - codeine phosphate, acetaminophen and aspirin - can individually and in combination help...

Have a work up however!

Good evening