Sharp pain in upper portion of calf. Pain when flexing the muscle. Will this lead to a clot?

I have a sharp pain when I flex my calf muscle. The pain is located in the upper portion of the calf. I have no other symptoms. no swelling, redness, or tenderness. What are the odds that it might be a clot?
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a blood clot

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

Sharp pain when you flex your calf muscle without any tenderness or swelling is not a clot, it is most likely to be a sprained muscle.

A deep vein thrombosis will typically be extremely painful on squeezing your calf muscle, additionally there can be redness and swelling, it aggravates on moving your ankle. These patients also have risk factors for a blood clot like, bed ridden state, smoking , cancer, family history of blood clots,pregnancy, history of taking birth control pills, major surgeries etc.

You could give some rest to the muscle for now, do not engage in physical activities. Keep XXXXXXX warm hot water bags over the area. Pain killers like aceclofenac taken once or twice a day after food helps bring down pain(do not take it for more than 3 days).

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me