Sharp pain in the back of the neck, radiating pain, aspirin, causes. Treatment ?

Yesterday for the first time while exercising I got a sharp pain in the back of my neck near the skull that radiated up the back of the left side of the head. It almost fell like an artery had too much blood or something was going to rupture. I stretched the neck took some aspirin and it gradually went away in about an hour.

Today when I exerted my self I got the same pain this time it did not feel like it started in the neck but at the base of the skull left side again and up to about the half way point in my head. I immediately stopped and the pain went away faster like 10 minutes.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 19 hours later

It looks like you have brief shooting pain from the neck to the back of the head and then going to the left side. It sound as if it is triggered by exercise.

So the possibilities are Cervical spondylosis, occipital neuralgia or exercise induced headaches.

Cervical spondylosis is more likely cause due to associated neck problems, pain radiating down the shoulder and to the arm. So an X XXXXXXX of the cervical spine is needed to confirm the diagnosis.

If confirmed start neck and shoulder strengthening exercises to prevent further problems. These can be obtained or trained by a local physiotherapist.

If problems persists XXXXXXX a neurologist for evaluation.