Sharp pain in the abdomen and pelvic area. Hysteroscopy done. Taken augmentin. What is the cause of pain?

I had a hysteroscopy D&C exactly two weeks ago for mid-cycle bleeding that I had been experiencing. The procedure was routine, according to my obgyn and the histopathology report was normal. I had mild cervical erosion which he cauterized.

4 days after the procedure I started getting sharp pains in the lower abdomen, pelvic area. The doctor put me on antibiotics (375mg Augmentin for 7 days). The pain got better within 48 hours and nearly went away. However, I am on the 7th day of antibiotics today and the pain is back. I would describe it as short spasms of pain in the pelvic/ lower abdomen region and it's quite persistent throughout the last 24-36 hours.

What do you think is the cause of the pain and what should I be doing about it?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 48 minutes later
Hi Sunaina,
Thanks for writing in.
The pain that you are currently experiencing can be due to pelvic inflammation after the procedure or simply due to hysteroscopic endometrial curettage.
I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry and that the pain will subside within a week or so
I would suggest the following:
a.     Augmentin is a good antibiotic but I feel doxycycline or Azithromycin or clindamycin work better in such cases. Please talk to your treating physician about this
b.     You can take anti inflammatory enzyme preparations like bromelin and trypsin , chymotrypsin combinations.
c.     For spasmodic pain, you can take mefenamic acid or dicyclomine. However, these are prescription drugs and you would need to speak with your physician about this.
d.     A Hot water bottle on the lower abdomen along with analgesic ointment applied locally helps a lot
e.     There can be pinkish discharge after the cauterization of your cervix for 15 -20 days and I would suggest that you abstain from sexual intercourse and rest for two weeks
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I shall be available for follow ups.